Better Health Self Management
A practical skills workshop for anyone with ongoing health conditions.
Who is it for? Anyone with an ongoing health condition including arthritis, diabetes, lung and heart conditions, depression, multiple sclerosis or any condition that causes you pain, tiredness, lack of energy, sleeping difficulty etc.
The free 6 week workshop is led by trained Leaders and Health Workers. We also welcome carers and/or partners of people living with chronic health conditions.
Details: Our next workshop commences Thursday 12 October – 16 November from 10am – 12.30pm at our head office; 3a Pioneer Avenue, Tuggerah.
The 6 week program is free, and registration is essential on 1300 578 478 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Worried about falling ?
Stepping On is an exciting initiative of the NSW Department of Health, presented by Adssi HomeLiving Australia. This free program is designed for older people who are living independently in the community at home and who have fallen or are fearful of falling. Participation in Stepping On gives older people the confidence to undertake their everyday activities more safely and independently, to reduce their risk of falling.
Coordinator Fay Huckstepp said participants will learn exercises to improve strength and balance and practical ways to reduce the risk of falling. “The program is run over 7 weeks so it’s also a great way to meet a new group of people”, she explained.
NEXT PROGRAMS START OCTOBER 2017:
- BLUE HAVEN program commences Tuesday 10 OCTOBER for 7 weeks – 10.30- 12.30pm, Blue Haven Community Centre
- ERINA program commences Wednesday 11 OCTOBER for 7 weeks – 10.30 – 12.30pm, The Erina Centre (near the library), Erina Fair Shopping Centre
Registration is essential – please call 1300 578 478
Participants must meet certain criteria including:
- 65 years and older and living at home
- Able to walk independently or with a walking stick
- Fearful of falling or has fallen recently
- Participants must reside in Wyong or Gosford Shire
- This program is not suitable for people with dementia or neuromuscular conditions
Facts About Falls:
- 1 in 3 people aged 65 years and over fall each year
- Falls are the leading cause of hospital admissions for trauma and deaths of older people
- 35% of people who fall become less active
- Falls can reduce mobility and independence
- Remaining active can prevent you from falling
Get ‘Active @ AHLA’
Haven’t exercised in a while? Do you know you need to but think you can’t manage?
‘Active @ AHLA’ is a low-to-moderate intensity exercise program, which is designed to be safe for people with stable long term health conditions such as cardiovascular disease, diabetes, arthritis, osteoporosis and obesity.
Our qualified Exercise Physiologist Anna will show you how to enjoy exercise which won’t strain your body.
We all know that regular physical activity is good for our health. But you don’t have to exercise at a vigorous level to achieve health benefits. This class is suitable if you haven’t exercised in a while.
- Wednesdays – 10.30am – 11.30am
- Adssi HomeLiving Australia, 3a Pioneer Avenue, Tuggerah
- Free parking available
- Air conditioned room
- Free morning tea
- Cost $7 / class
- To register please call our customer service team on 1300 578 478.
Cooking and Nutrition Program
The 4 week program, presented by The Wholesome Collective, is designed to provide dietary, nutrition and practical cooking skills to ensure general health and adequate nutrition and wellbeing is maintained in older people. The classes are open to people 65 years and over living in the community who are in receipt of services under the Commonwealth Home Support Program (CHSP). A personal dietitian assessment is also included.
- Four week program, led by qualified Home Economist
- Individual nutrition assessment + report/plan by qualified Dietitian
- All ingredients, utensils and instruction provided
- An engaging and fun environment
- Morning tea, 2 course lunch each week
- Recipe Book
- COST: $40 all inclusive
Our next 4 week program commences: Tuesday 10 October at Terrigal Uniting Church
To register, please call us on 1300 578 478.
Throughout the year we run respite camps at Camp Breakaway in San Remo. You can enjoy the beautiful surrounds, comfortable and accessible accommodation and fantastic food!
Camps are for 3 nights and 4 days and are available for people living with dementia and their carers, as well as frail aged.
Camps include information sessions, live entertainment, games, gentle exercise and movement and music, lots of fun and relaxation too. The last day is capped off with a Cooking and Nutrition session and a delicious group lunch.
2017 Camp Dates:
Tuesday 10 October – Friday 13 October
4 day respite at Breakaway Lodge is available to people living with dementia and their carer and includes support and information sessions, as well as lots of fun activities. Halloween Theme 🙂
Tuesday 7 November – Friday 10 November
4 day respite at Breakaway Lodge is available to Frail Aged clients over 65 in Wyong/Gosford LGA. Melbourne Cup/Christmas Theme
If you’d like to know more, or register for one of these fantastic and affordable camps, please ring Marie on 1300 578 478 ext 143.